9 Doctor, 100% Food Animal Practice. 95% Dairy, 5% Beef, Swine, and Small Ruminant.
Includes one doctor that is board certified and another with a MBA.
To work with veterinary students to expose them to food animal practice and improve their veterinary skills. The externship should challenge the student’s knowledge base and clinical skills. Some aspects to be covered are as follows:
- Palpation skills both in routine pregnancy and reproductive exams as well in physical exams of patients.
- Ultrasound skills in both reading of the ultrasound image and use of the machine.
- Physical exam skills. Student should be able to perform a complete physical examination including minor diagnostics such as urinalysis, blood chemistry, fine needle aspiration, abdominal taps, neurological examinations, etc.
- Surgical Skills. Student will participate in surgical procedures including but not limited to, LDA, RDA, RTA repair, Cesarean Sections, Umbilical Hernia Repair and Caslick’s. Both traditional surgical techniques and laparoscopic methods will be used.
- Record Analysis. PCDart for DHIA record analysis, ration evaluation, and farm financial review.
- Knowledge Base. Student is expected to be able to create a list of differentials and rank them, create a diagnostic plan, interpret results and create a treatment plan.
- Communication skills. Ability to communicate with the attending veterinarian and with clients is stressed.
- Practice management. Discussions of practice management and interview skills for job search.
If any further information is needed, please feel free to contact...
Agricultural Veterinary Associates
Attn: Stephen Foulke, DVM, Diplomate ABVP
137 E 28th Division Highway
Lititz, PA 17543